Wednesday 3 April 2013

Meeting Morwenna

Short, daft one today, no sea shanty though (didn't take to the prompt!).

Meeting Morwenna

A night meant for romance
but that voice
from table 29
that voice keeps
stealing my attention
from candles and wine

"Morwenna!"
I hear her labelled
and I wander closer
step back
as late-staying children
crowd round her table

as she oinks a retort
her laughter
becomes a snort
and I recall the pig
she is known for playing
everyday (in our house, at least)

I look closer
for snout-like features
am let down
by small, unflared nostrils
and lack of appetite
as she nibbles at a Caesar salad.

It was like high-fiving Paul Simon
then finding
he doesn't have diamonds
on the underside
of his Edward Greens
and if he does they have never been seen.

Sarah L Dixon  Day 3 NaPoWriMo - not sure what this is or where it came from and the nearest it comes to using the prompt is the repeated rhyme.  x

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I like this, lots. Things are not always what they seem to be on first impression, perhaps? Liked the Paul Simon reference to one of my favorite songs.

    ReplyDelete